Design Patterns

I attended a one-week Design Pattern class couple of weeks ago. I remembered boss asked me, “Do you know what design pattern is? Please go and find out before you want to sign up.” Frankly, I didn’t know what Design Pattern is, if you ask me now, I can’t really tell you what it is, still.

I briefly read some introductions from Google search result, and told him my justification to sign up for the class. I think it is useful not only for software design, but also hardware design. SystemVerilog does support object oriented, thus it should be applicable in my work related area. I told my some friends about this, people think this is my excuse to go for the class. I hope my boss didn’t, because I really do think it works that way.

I think, Design Pattern is an abstract methodology, using object oriented concept, to ... to solve issues, to tell about relationship, how relationship works, in software design, maybe using SystemVerilog in hardware design flow, and in our life.

One funny, but seems so real analogy that we discussed in the class was: If a family starts with bad parents, the kid will inherit the bad from his parents. It will be getting worse and worse from one generation to the next generation. The only way to stop it is, stop the inheritance. (I think I know what they meant, do you?) There it goes with the object oriented concept, base class and child class, and the final class statement.



Anyway, back to our topic. I did Google again for further information, because the notes were too lengthy, and the teacher didn’t give us the soft copy of the presentation slides, thus it’s quite hard for me to follow. Thanks to this website, I got what I want. The teacher’s notes seem similar to what this website offered, so I think this is a very good reference site for Design Pattern.

http://sourcemaking.com/design_patterns

I have done my own summary on the design patterns that I’ve learned from the class. Later, I will share it in my k-db website. :)

Comments