Unicode Table

Unicode is a character encoding standards to support multi-language characters, including Braille. As you know, we normally have Big5 for traditional Chinese, and GB2312 for simplify Chinese, of course there are more, or variations for the Chinese characters. It is very inconvenient when you are browsing between web pages in simplify Chinese and also traditional Chinese.

I have a lot of this problem last time, when I was active in one of the popular Chinese forums in Malaysia. The text that I entered sometime can be “corrupted” (亂碼), probably due to the browser was set to view in GB2312 encoding, but my input is Big5, or vice versa. Sometimes, I need to set to view in HZ, and then the text only can be readable. I am a traditional Chinese character supporter, though I can’t really write it, at least I can type it. :P

So, with Unicode come in place, it eases all these pain. However, probably not all websites are using this encoding, but at least it is a great solution to the web domain, when user wants to browse websites in different languages.

I forgot what I was looking from this page. It is a list of characters supported in Unicode. I can’t tell if ALL Chinese characters are in there, for both simplify and traditional, but it seems there are a lot! I think they are ordered by “部首”.



http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/en/general-info/unicode.html


This website is quite messy, the tables are not in same size. Can be improved by specifying the width size of the table.

Comments