qixiyuelao

I should start working, after watching the drama and also working on today’s photo and post it to my blog and Facebook. It’s been a long while, I really should start to work. But... in case you don’t know, today is 七夕, the 7th day of the 7th month in lunar calendar.


There are quite some stories, or related tradition activities today. My English is not really good to tell the stories, so I’ll try my best to briefly talk about one of them.


This day, is also referred as Chinese Valentine’s Day. We have 2 yearly, I think, one is on the 15th of 1st month in lunar calendar, and the other one is today. Today is the reunion day for 牛郎 (niu lang) and 織女 (zhi nv). 牛郎is a mortal, where 織女is a fairy (Any other term? I got this from Google translate, probably deity? I am not sure.) They were in loved, got married, and have kids. When the 天帝 (Emperor of Heaven) knows about it, He summoned 王母娘娘 (The Queen Mother?!) to bring her back to heaven. 牛郎had a 灰牛大仙 (immortal cow), who helped him to chase after 織女。王母娘娘used her hair pin to draw a 天河 (sky river / galaxy) to separate them. They stood there, watched each other, and cried in grief. The 喜鵲 (magpie) were touched that they built a bridge across the 天河to let the lovers meet each other. 王母娘娘has to agree to let them to meet up only on this day, the 7th day of the 7th month. Oppss.. I skipped the part where the 灰牛大仙 is the one who taught 牛郎how to go after 織女。:P


Somehow, I am not sure how, and when, the 月老 (joking??!! I can’t believe Google translate giving me this result! :D) takes part in today’s event. 月老supposed to be an old man, taking care of the mortal’s love fate. He would tie a red string between 2 lovers as the “love connection” or “love network”. He should be considered as a deity too.


Check this out. It’s a Chinese version of Twitter, called 微博 (mini blog). 月老has registered an account there. He is doing online match making! Is he running out of red string? I would think the relationship knot won’t be strongly bound compare to red string. 月老, some meant to be follow tradition, though it’s going to be an e-world out there.


http://t.sina.com.cn/qixiyuelao





Comments